By: Spencer Tepe
The Ohio State University College of Dentistry Advocacy Team is fresh off a meaningful victory for both its chapter and District 6. Just 12 months ago, OSU ASDA installed a new governing hierarchy that would prove to benefit the chapter immensely. The Legislative Liaison was welcomed on to the executive board, and an LL-elect position was created. Ohio State placed new emphasis on advocacy and strove to involve more members in legislative efforts. In the course of a year, OSU ASDA’s Advocacy Team rallied to compile a list of events and efforts that in turn earned the chapter a Gold Crown in Legislative Initiatives. So what exactly did it take?
2014 Gold Crown in Legislative Initiatives Recipe:
– 12 National Student Lobby Day 2014 attendees including an in-person meeting with Congressman Stivers of the 15th district of Ohio
– 1 ASDA bar crawl for recruitment
– 1 volleyball tournament for recruitment
– 1 D1/D2 social for recruitment
– 1 ASDA fair for recruitment
– A visit from Congressman Stivers to OSU COD where he fielded questions regarding policy
– 1 ODPAC Trivia night with 77 attendees
– 1 Beat Michigan Week ADPAC drive
– 1 letter writing campaign directed at state senators regarding the passing of Ohio House Bill 463
– 1 senator calling campaign the day senators were to vote on HB 463, a day on which the bill was unanimously passed
– 44 D1 attendees at Day at the Statehouse in downtown Columbus, OH
The highlights of these efforts were hosting Congressman Stivers and helping to pass HB 463. Ohio House Bill 463 is a multifaceted bill that addresses access to care in the state of Ohio. It also introduced the option of students to forego a licensure live-patient exam and attend a PGY-1 program as means to attain a license in the state of Ohio. Bills such as Ohio House Bill 463 are vital in the progression of dentistry. It is critical that dental students and doctors alike participate in the legislative process. The willingness that Ohio State has demonstrated to participate in this process assuredly weighed heavily in the council’s evaluation for the Gold Crown in Legislative Initiatives.
So there you have it. A cookbook recipe to Gold Crown “fame and stardom.” District 6 is now prepared to repeat in this category and Ohio State challenges YOU to do so.